What Not to Miss at The Photography Show 2019
Watch all our video content from the show, including news and interviews from professional photographers and the big brands, for free on photographynow.tv.
Dates: Saturday 16 – Tuesday 19 March 2019
Opening times: 10:00 – 17:00 each day
Location: The NEC, North Ave, Marston Green, Birmingham B40 1NT
Tickets: Available online or on the door
Running from Saturday 16 until Tuesday 19 March at Birmingham’s NEC, this year’s event will bring together the latest kit from leading brands and inspiring talks, demos and masterclasses from a host of top photographers.
With new stages and the show’s exciting new Women Who Photo campaign, the event will no doubt have something for photographers of all interests and abilities.
Photography Now will be at the show to bring you all the latest news and interviews, look out for our video content coming soon…
In the meantime, we take a look at some of the highlights of this year’s extravaganza, read on to find out more.
Brand New Video Show
Whether you’re an aspiring documentary-maker, a 360° video pro, or a wedding videographer looking to get the edge, this year is extra special for those interested in video.
Professional videographers like Rupert Cobb, Leanne Perrins, Ivo Marloh, and Daniel Peters will be giving talks and masterclasses at the In Motion stage.
And a number of manufacturers will be showing their video-centric kit, including Panasonic and Sigma.
Women Who Photo Campaign
Also new this year is the Women Who Photo campaign, which will celebrate female photographers and filmmakers, shining a light on their work and encouraging new talent.
The works of 15 top female photographers and videographers will be on display, including the founder of SheClicks Facebook group Angela Nicholson, professional wildlife photographer Tesni Ward and music photographer Jennifer McCord.
Many will also give talks and host events throughout the four days, and there will be a panel discussion on the Photo Live Stage on Saturday.
Learn from the Pros
From student to pro level, you can find masterclasses to suit all interests at The Photography Show.
Half-day masterclasses for beginners to pros cost between £10 and £15 (for student it’s £5) on top of your Photography Show and can be purchased ahead of time online.
Insight from the Big Names
The Super Stage will play host to photography legend Martin Parr who will talk about his long, acclaimed career. He will be joined by Pete Souza, the former chief official White House photographer for Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan.
Also speaking are fashion photographer Lindsay Adler, wildlife photographer Moose Peterson, National Geographic photographer Annie Griffiths and outdoors photographer Chris Burkard. Find out how they approach projects, create their own style and the barriers they have overcome to get to where they are now.
Get Inspired at the Stages
Running alongside the Super Stage are a host of stages offering insight and inspiration into a range of different photography genres. We take a quick look at what’s on offer:
- Get your cameras at the ready for the Photo Live stage, which will play host to a range of demos, showcasing inspiring techniques and ideas for your future projects.
- The Behind the Lens Theatre caters for those looking for inspiration and expert tuition – ultimately, to help you refine your technique, up your knowledge (be it business or project-based) and come up with unique style and creative ideas for your own photography.
- Led by influencers and masters of social media, head to the Social Stage to learn how to get your best photos shared, build your following and make the most of your community.
- And breathe…The Great Outdoors Stage will draw you in to the realm of landscape, wildlife and nature photography in all its glory.
- The Drone Zone introduces the art of flight to your stills and moving image footage. Find out more about the best aerial tech on the market and what you need to know before you start flying.
- From retouching to adding complex effects, the Editing Suite will offer sessions exploring what’s possible with image editing software, for beginners to pros alike.
- Back due to popular demand, the Wedding and Portrait Stage will help you get the perfect shot of the happy couple on their big day.
Try the Newest Kit from the Big Brands
It’s been a big year for photography gear. If you’ve had your eye on a new camera or are just curious to get the feel of some new kit, The Photography Show is a great opportunity to find all the biggest brands under one roof.
Full-frame models to look out for include Nikon’s Z6 and Z7 (stand C11), Canon’s EOS R and EOS RP (stands D141 and E131), Panasonic’s S1R and S1 (stand D41) and Sony’s A7R III (stand D51).
Head to stand D91 to see Olympus’ reimagined flagship camera, it’s micro four thirds OM-D EM1X, and stand D61 to see Fujifilm’s X-T30 and medium format GFX 50R.
Alongside the cameras, Zeiss, Sigma and Tamron will be showing off their latest lenses, and accessory brands including Rotolight, Manfrotto and Gitzo will also showcase their latest gear.
Find a Bargain
If you’re looking for a bargain, many of the stands will have their own show-exclusive deals and don’t forget to bring your old gear to swap for new models. Wex Photo Video (stand C120) sell second-hand gear and offer while-you-wait trade-ins. London Camera Exchange on stands E51 and E62 and Camera World on stand D21 also have plenty of kit for sale.
Stay tuned for video updates on photographynow.tv…